rss
email
twitter
facebook

Friday, November 20, 2009

BBC fail article about Second Life

So BBC ran an article about Second Life and it wasn't balanced at all, considering that they have approached M Linden (Mark Kingdon) for an interview and he has been able to answer the journalist's questions extensively


The Lab has called for residents to comment and encourage us to write about our perspective on SL today, and here is my comment to BBC's article:



On the contrary, there are more and more uses for Second Life than it was used before. Your article did a disservice to this network by not looking at both sides of the story, and to think I respect and find this news network credible and fair.


Sure, there are those who came in, found it boring, had a bad experience, etc., and logged off. Then they preach all sorts of evil about it and predict its death. But Second Life is still here...and growing--those who predict its end are the noisy minority.

As a writer in the virtual world (I also belong to a staff of a magazine based in Second Life that features articles from many categories like art, business, machinima, events, live music, fashion and architecture) I was able to make a small living out of Second Life, so my hours in it are more productive than usual. My work with it (AVENUE Magazine) also made me see that SL is NOT a STALE and STAGNANT world after all. It is vibrant, creative, eclectic, stimulating, fun, and a great social environment.

As one of the commentators above said, SL is really how you make of it--but I dare say that who you meet during the first hour is also dependent to your staying or leaving the world. I was lucky to find friends after several days of wandering around (I was patient enough) and I have more friends and contacts now more than 2 years later.

That said, there a lot of things to do to make SL more palatable to regular computer users, and Linden Lab is making strides in doing so.

That said, as a reader and a follower of your network, I hope to see more objective and balanced article about Second Life.


I am not sure if they will print that or not, so just thinking of posting it for documentation and for everyone to see I did my part...:D

0 comments: